Friday, January 18, 2013

Owen's Quilt

When my three year old asked me to make him a quilt after watching me make his cousin a quilt, I could not resist.  I was just getting into quilting about a year after he was born.  So he did not get a baby quilt.  Actually, none of my kids did.  And he fell in love with the soft minky blankets that you can buy at the store for a few bucks, so we just went with that.  I figured once he asked me for one, that would be special and I knew I would love making it.

Untitled
 (The colors are a little off, but they are the DS quilts fabrics from Joann, so I'm sure you know what they look like in person.  Blues, not black, greens, not yellow. I need a camera...)

And I did.  Every time he saw me sewing he said, "Momma? Is that my kilt?" with such excitement in his voice that I couldn't take it! I worked quickly on it and finished it up with a soft minky backing so that he would enjoy the same feeling as his other blanket that he loves so much.

Soft Minky


So here it is.  I used the pattern Pow-Wow which you can find here.  It was easy to understand and went together easily.  Not to mention I have a lot of little HST's in greens and blues to make a new little project.

Untitled

He loves his "kilt" but still doesn't use it.  But it hangs off his bed and he knows it's his and that his Momma made it just for him...and that's enough.

17 comments:

  1. ohhh that's so adorable, I love it when the kids are so excited about something your making for them :) I made my DS a quilt for his 2nd birthday (started quilting when he was about 18 months) and after a couple of years we put it away and then got it out last month, he still remembered it and he's 8 now :O) your making memories for your DS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt! I linked up with chevrons too :D Avis x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!! LOVE that polka dot minky for its backing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous. I love those fabrics :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous quilt! Great fabrics and nice touch using the minky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt Sarah it will be much cuddled in the years ahead I am sure.

    Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story. He will probable use it - just give him time. My Older Grandson has discovered that quilts make great capes, ad hiding places, and tents and ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful! I am sure it will get lots of use.
    P.s. my Owen is 27

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a lovely quilt! There's nothing more precious than sewing something for your children :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt, and isn't it awesome when the little ones appreciate all your hard work? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a wonderful quilt. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a darling quilt. Thanks for the pattern link.

    ReplyDelete
  13. how cute, the quilt is lovely, i am thinking of making this quilt too, its a perfect design for boys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!!! It is very cute!!! Little ones are so sweet!!! How cute for him to ask for one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! :0). My big boys still ask me to make quilts for them. The thrill never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How sweet!! What a wonderful feeling when your children are your biggest fans. My daughter was 25 before she got her first quilt because I didn't quilt until later in life. BTW, your quilt is great!

    ReplyDelete